25 MORNING ROUTINE IDEAS
Creating a solid morning routine can really prepare you physically and psychologically for the day ahead. No matter how busy or chaotic the rest of the day, having some time to yourself before the rest of the house wakes and up and the day begins, can be a life-saver. If you’d like some ideas on what to include in your morning routine, check out this post on 25 morning routine ideas to get you ready for the day.
HOW TO CREATE A MORNING ROUTINE THAT REALLY SERVES YOU
Here are my top 25 suggestions for what to include in your morning routine. Whatever you choose to do (and in whatever combination you can fit in without waking up at ridiculous-o-clock!) make sure that it really helps and serves you.
Your morning routine should set you up for the day in a positive way. Don’t waste this special, quiet time before the rest of the house wakes up.
HAVE A PLAN FOR YOUR MORNING ROUTINE
Make the most of your time by having a plan. The plan can be flexible and can be different for each day of the week. But make sure you know how you’re going to spend what time you have in the morning. Don’t get distracted or you’ll waste the time and won’t get as much benefit as possible!
THE FIRST HOUR OF YOUR DAY SETS THE TONE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY
That first hour in the morning can pretty much determine how the rest of your day will go, or rather your attitude to your day.
If you wake up late, you’re much more likely to be irritable and stressed from rushing around and this can carry on throughout the day. It’s possible that everything will seem more difficult that day, more of a challenge and you’ll feel down, overwhelmed or fed up.
If you wake up early, you’ve got time to get everything done at an easier pace. You’ll feel more on top of things, more prepared and more organised. Your day will feel easier and you’ll be more receptive to the good things that happen and better able to deal with any challenges.
If you struggle with getting up earlier, especially if you’re not a morning person, you might find my post on how to get up earlier helpful!
25 MORNING ROUTINE IDEAS TO GET YOU READY FOR THE DAY
Here are some tips if you’d like to know how to create a morning routine that works for you. There are probably plenty of other morning routine ideas that you can think of, but here’s a selection of my favourites!
Pick and choose what’s appropriate to you and what will prepare you best for your day ahead!
- Do an exercise routine
- Do some meditation
- Drink hot water with lemon
- Drink coffee, tea and lots of it!
- Do some yoga
- Practice mindfulness
- Catch up on social media
- Catch up on the news
- Read a chapter of your favourite book
- Listen to a podcast
- Take a walk
- Say some affirmations
- Write a morning gratitude list
- Write 5 things you’re proud of yourself for
- Write a To Do list for today
- Have a shower and wash your hair
- Choose your clothes for today with love and care
- Spend some time on self care
- Make the packed lunches
- Get the school bags ready
- Unload the dishwasher
- Prep the dinner for tonight
- Catch up on and action your emails
- Knock out some work (if you work or can work from home)
- Enjoy the silence (it won’t last!)
If you’d like to learn more about creating time and space for you, here are some resources which you might find helpful:
- 5 little things to do each day to make life easier
- 20 ways to simplify your life
- How to slow down
- Passion and Purpose – A little course of self-discovery. We’ll look at how to find happiness and fulfilment in your daily life, the simple and intentional way.