MONTHLY CHECKLIST TO SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE
Whether it’s looking at your calendar, decluttering your home or working on your own goals and personal development, the start of the month is a great time to assess where you’re at. Check out this post for a monthly checklist to simplify your life. Get organised and plan your tasks and goals for the coming month.
THE BENEFITS OF A MONTHLY CHECKLIST
At the start of every month I like to do a little check-in with myself. I find it helpful to get organised and plan for the month ahead as well as reflecting on how the past month went and what I learnt.
You can read more about what I do (and why) at the beginning of every month in my post on things to do at the start of the month to organise and simplify your life.
As well as the topics that I cover in that post, there are plenty of other things that I have to do and remember throughout the month, as well as places to be and errands to run.
I also use the beginning of the month as a little reminder for myself to keep up with regular tasks around the home, practice a little bit of self-care and generally keep organised.
I thought it might be helpful to share a few of these things here as a reminder for you (and myself!). Think of it as a monthly checklist.
On the following list, I’ve included links to further reading which you can click on to read more detailed guidance or tips on a particular area! I hope you find it helpful!
- Check for birthdays coming up to make sure you’ve got cards, gift wrap and presents so it’s not a last-minute dash to the shops!
- Check for upcoming dentist or doctor’s appointments. Work out timings for travel, and snacks needed for your kids or whether you need childcare?
- Meal plan for the month, or even just a week at a time if you struggle to plan for the next 4/5 weeks.
- Pre-book your grocery delivery slots so you know you’ve got a regular delivery in case you run low on things.
- What are you planning to do for self-care this month? Keep it simple but strategic so that it really makes a difference to how you feel.
- What books do you want to read this month? I like to keep a wish list on my phone or check out this page if you need some inspiration!
- What podcasts do you want to listen to this month? I listen to them whilst walking the dog, doing the dishes and waiting to pick my kids up from school.
- Is there anything you’d like to declutter this month? Check my monthly decluttering series for some ideas!
- What deep-cleaning projects are you going to tackle? I like to do a little bit regularly so it doesn’t build up!
- What are your goals for the month? It’s good to set goals and even better to assess them regularly so they feel right for you.
- Check your bank statement and match receipts to the statement. Check out my post on how to simplify your finances for other tips on managing your money.
- Work out your budget for the month and how much you plan to put back into savings if you can.
- What needs doing in the garden this month? Make a list of jobs ranging from mowing the grass or clearing out the shed to planting herb pots on the window sill.
- Any special events, anniversaries, school events etc this month. Do you have everything you need?
- File all paperwork that’s waiting to be filed. Don’t leave it on your kitchen counter or stuffed in a drawer. Do a little bit often and the piles feel less daunting!
- Clear your emails, delete unwanted ones and archive the rest.
- Organise your desktop, get your electronic filing system neat and tidy and back up your computer.
- Organise your phone. Go through the photos on your phone, delete the fuzzy random ones and save the ones you want to keep to your computer. Check for any unused apps. Back up your phone.
- Check your wardrobe for clothes that are out of season and could be stored away until you need them or that you’d like to donate or recycle.
- Do something that will improve or enhance your life in some way. The choice is yours!
- Do something out of your comfort zone if you feel able.
- Re-visit your morning routine to make sure it’s working for you.
- Re-visit your evening routine to make sure it’s still working for you.
- Plan a date night with your partner. Easily forgotten or pushed aside when life gets busy.
- Phone a friend or loved one or make a date to meet up.
- Start a new book or make time to read your existing one.
- Practice gratitude daily. How you think about things changes how you feel about them.
- Develop or start a daily exercise routine. Whether it’s training for a 10k race, or stretches from your chair, every little bit counts.
- Unfollow social media accounts and unsubscribe from emails that don’t add value and limit screen time if you feel you need to.
- Pay yourself a compliment every day. You deserve it!