HOW TO CREATE A SIMPLE EVENING ROUTINE
An evening routine can get you prepared for tomorrow and calm you down ready for the night, no matter what the day has thrown at you! Check out this post on how to create a simple evening routine that supports you.
THE BENEFITS OF AN EVENING ROUTINE
Do you ever have one of those days when you’re on the go and haven’t had time to catch your breath? Even when we try to manage our time and make life as easy as possible, there are still crazy, chaotic days. Getting to the end of a day like that can be a relief!
Even on normal days, I’m still quite pleased when I’ve done all my jobs, the kids are in bed and I can find a little bit of time for looking after myself. I can:
- Unwind and relax from being on the go and do something just for me!
- Use the time to calm down and prepare myself physically and mentally for bedtime.
- Spend a few minutes each evening doing some jobs for the morning.
It means that I’m not rushing so much in the morning, my mornings are less stressful and I have time on my hands in case, for example, I sleep through the alarm or one of the kids is ill.
Creating a simple evening routine that I follow daily has so many benefits and, together with a simple morning routine, acts as a framework to book-end my day.
Keep reading for some ideas for your simple evening routine. Pick and choose what works for you…
Grab your FREE download at the end of the post!
IDEAS FOR YOUR EVENING ROUTINE
Here are some ideas for your evening routine. Pick and choose what might work best for you. I’m sure there are plenty of others that you can think of!
- Make sure the car has fuel in it for the school run or to get to work!
- Do you know where your keys are so you’re not frantically searching for them in the morning?
- Make/prep all tomorrow’s lunches and keep them in the fridge or freezer to take out first thing in the morning
- Wipe down all the surfaces and do a quick whip round the house putting things back into their correct places
- Wash the dishes from dinner or load and switch on the dishwasher to finish before bedtime
- Give the house a quick hoover for when you come down in the morning. If the floor looks clean it makes everything else look cleaner!
- Fold and put away any laundry that you’ve washed that day
- Get the coffee machine on standby so it’s ready for the morning when you most need it!
- Put out the breakfast cereals and bowls on the table to save time in the morning
- Check through school bags for any letters/permission slips. Fill them out and put them safely back in the bags
- Make sure the school bags are completely ready for the morning including swimming and PE kits etc as necessary
- Write a To Do list for the things you need to do tomorrow
- Lay out clothes for you and your children to put on tomorrow
- Have a shower and wash your hair to save time in the morning
- Get the kids to tidy up their bedroom and put their toys away
- Bath the kids, make sure their teeth are brushed, read them a story and anything else that is an important part of the evening routine for you and your kids
- Lay out your gym stuff if you plan to do a workout when you wake up
- Charge your toothbrush overnight
- Make sure your alarm is set
- Plan to factor in a bit of ‘you time’ – even if it’s not very long – so that you can do something for yourself like read a chapter of a book, listen to a podcast, go for a walk
- Don’t be tempted to keep your phone by your bed (apart from if you use it as an alarm clock) and check your emails last thing at night. They can wait until morning
- Make sure your bedside table only has the things on it that you need for the night
- Write down in your diary five things that you are grateful for that day
- Keep a notebook by your bed so that if you remember something during the night then you can write it down instead of forgetting it by morning
- Relax before bed with a bath, read a book, light a candle
These are just some ideas for what to include in your evening routine. It will look different for everyone so pick and choose what supports you the most.
Let me know in the comments if there’s anything else you do which you find helps!