50 SIMPLE SELF-CARE IDEAS THAT TAKE 10 MINUTES OR LESS
Self-care doesn’t have to be expensive or time-consuming. Try these 50 simple self-care ideas that take 10 minutes or less to help you feel better in body and mind even when time is tight.
WHAT DOES SELF-CARE MEAN TO YOU?
Before we start, I’d like to just ask you what you think self-care means and, more specifically, what does self-care mean to you?
Self-care means different things to different people, at least in the finer detail. In the general sense, most of us recognise that self-care means taking care of yourself, your body and brain.
Self-care could be getting your nails and hair done. It might be sitting solo in your car in the supermarket carpark with just a coffee and quiet for company whilst your kids are at home with your partner! It could be a quick power-nap or it could be knuckling down to finish that work project that’s been weighing you down and stressing you out. Self-care could even be decluttering your home.
Self-care is whatever you need to help your body and brain feel recharged, strong and resilient for your life.
Take a few moments to think about what self-care really means and looks like to you.
When you were thinking about what self-care means to you, did you also find yourself thinking about some of the problems you face in practicing that self-care? If you did, I don’t think you’re alone!
Perhaps you felt:
- Selfish for thinking about yourself
- Guilty for wanting some time just for you
- Frustrated that other people seem to manage it but you can’t
- Resentful that your life feels too busy to factor in some ‘you time’
- Struggle finding time for yourself
- Don’t know what to do when you do have some spare time
- Try different self-care ideas but nothing really sticks
- Feel you haven’t got the willpower or motivation when life just gets in the way
Some of these problems sound so familiar! When my kids were small or even now, when work gets busy or something happens to shift my usual happy balance, I can feel self-care being put on the back-burner. Yet, of course, it’s at times like these when self-care is even more important!
I wanted to reassure you that self-care doesn’t have to be expensive or time-consuming. Even just 5 or 10 minutes here and there on a regular basis can contribute to a happier, healthier you.
50 SELF-CARE IDEAS THAT TAKE 10 MINUTES OR LESS
Here are some little self-care ideas that take 10 minutes or less for when time is tight or you need a quick boost!
- Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and don’t do anything else at the same time but sit and enjoy it!
- Listen to a podcast. Choose a topic that makes you happy.
- Write an entry in your diary.
- Spend time learning a new hobby.
- Read a little bit every day.
- Have a nap, even if it’s the middle of the day.
- Light a candle of your favourite scent.
- Play with your pet. She or he loves you unconditionally.
- Try meditation or yoga.
- Go outside and get some fresh air.
- Change the sheets on your bed so they’re fresh for when you climb in tonight.
- Look through old photos.
- Donate a book or item of clothing you no longer need. Someone else needs it more than you.
- Donate money to a charity you care about.
- Do the one thing on your To Do list that’s been bugging you.
- Surprise someone with the gift of kindness.
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
- Make your bed so it looks neat and tidy.
- Remember that how you think about things determines how you feel about them. Be positive.
- Go for a walk.
- Share a hug with someone.
- Believe you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it.
- Practice gratitude and write out 5 things you’re grateful for today.
- Look in the mirror and find 5 things you love about yourself.
- List your main achievements in life and be proud of them.
- Clear one of your worksurfaces or table-tops. Admire the result.
- Tell your children you love them, proud of them and that they’re doing really well.
- Take time out from technology. Be present in the moment away from the pc or your phone.
- Be productive and declutter your desk or wardrobe.
- Treat yourself to something yummy!
- Call your best friend.
- Write an email, note or text to a friend who you care about.
- Believe that today is a great day and feel your emotions become more positive.
- Leave a post-it note for your other half or your children. Leave it in their lunchbox or somewhere they’ll see it. Say things like ‘I love you’.
- Walk in the grass or sand on the beach with bare feet.
- Do something to help others but don’t expect a thank you. For example, pick up litter from the park and throw it in the bin.
- Practice mindfulness and be present in the moment.
- Buy some flowers for yourself.
- Learn something new. Check out YouTube or Google it.
- Try something new to get out of your normal routine. A change is as good as a break.
- Call your Mum.
- Do your hair and make-up and feel great!
- Make plans to do something so you can look forward to it.
- Stop wishing you were like someone else. You’re great as you are.
- Be selfish sometimes and say no to anything you don’t want to do.
- Start a new routine which will make your life easier and simpler.
- Plan your day and tick things off as you get them done.
- Plan a day trip or a weekend away, with or without the kids.
- Remember that you are unique and special.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR REGULAR SELF-CARE
When it comes to looking after yourself, self-care works effectively when you have two important things in place:
- Some time for yourself
- The right mindset
Without these key ingredients, any self-care plan could let you down over the long-term.
- If you feel that you struggle finding time for yourself or that your busy days just don’t allow for wiggle room and space for you, try this post on how to be less busy or how to make time for yourself. You might also benefit from getting a little more organised or managing your time more effectively.
- If you feel that you struggle with getting into the right mindset then this article on essential mindsets to help you get more out of life might help. Remember that you are unique, priceless and more than worthy of a little restorative time to yourself (whatever that may look like).
RESOURCES FOR SELF-CARE
I hope you enjoyed this article and found it useful. Here are some other resources on looking after yourself which you might enjoy.
- The Ultimate Self-Care Toolkit – A comprehensive workbook to help you create (and stick to) a self-care plan that works for you and your life.
- How to create an intentional morning routine – My secret self-care weapon in my own life! Get up before my family and carve a little extra me-time to help prepare me for the day ahead!
- 5 little things to do each day to make life easier – We could all do with a little less stress and a lot more ease in our lives. This post might be a good starting point.
- 6 self-care habits for your daily routine – Making self-care a regular part of your day