20 WAYS TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF
If you’re struggling to find time for yourself or busy life is over-stretching you, here are 20 ways to look after yourself. Simple little self-care tips and suggestions to make life easier and keep you on track when life is pulling you off!
SELF-CARE TIPS FOR A BUSY LIFE
The world is a challenging place sometimes. We don’t just have our own lives to deal with, but we’re increasingly forced to manage outside factors that are way beyond our individual control. You only have to listen to the news for a few minutes to appreciate how complex our lives are becoming and, often unfortunately, with complexity comes pressure, stress and busy-ness.
Looking after ourselves is becoming more important but I know that finding the time for that isn’t always easy.
Our days and our brains are filled with commitments and responsibilities and we end up way down the pecking order. Work, family, bills to pay and everything else is vying for our attention and often come first.
So, if this sounds familiar and you’re looking for little ways to look after yourself, this post is for you!
I’ve listed a few self-care ideas and tips to help you look after you, whilst still being there for everyone else. Simple little suggestions to make life easier and keep you on track when life is pulling you off!
Here are 20 ways to look after yourself…
20 WAYS TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF
- Be ok with saying no: If you don’t want to do something then it’s ok to say no. It doesn’t mean no forever, it just means not right now. For more tips on how to say no and learning to be comfortable in saying it, check out this post on how to be intentional with your time.
- Stop chasing: Whether it’s running a marathon, seeking a promotion or another pair of shoes, stop chasing and reflect on what you have right now. Determine if you’re chasing the right things or whether you’re chasing because you feel you ought to or you’ve simply just got caught up in the act of chasing. Follow your head and heart, not the herd.
- Let things go: Negative mindsets usually hinder rather than support us. Identify what’s holding you back and find ways to let these 5 things go.
- Shift your mindset: How we think about things determines how we feel about them and how we feel about something plays a large part in how we act upon it. Work on your mindset before you work on anything else. Try my free workbook to help shift your mindset and overturn negative thought patterns.
- Do something that makes you laugh: Life can be very serious. When you have the opportunity to laugh, either alone or with others, just enjoy it for that moment.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff: Yes, the small stuff adds up to big stuff, but before you dwell on the little problems in life, think whether it’s really worth it or could you be thinking about other things that serve you better?
- Delegate: Don’t feel you have to do everything yourself. If you’re not the only one in the home then you’re not the only one making the mess. Ask for help around the home.
- Build supportive relationships: Personal connections are important. Develop relationships that are based on mutual trust, respect, love and support. Ditch the toxic relationships that bring you down. Read more tips to connect with your partner as an example.
- Keep it simple: Things that are too complicated are often unrealistic or unsustainable. Try my free self-care challenge for simple self-care tips that you can weave into your every day life, the simple way.
- Create boundaries: Boundaries are your invisible forcefield. Don’t get caught up in making lots of tiny decisions every day. Have some clear boundaries about what you will and won’t accept in life. Perhaps read my post on how to create boundaries that work for you for some ideas.
- Make an effort to look good: This isn’t about being vain or selfish. When you believe you look good then you tend to feel good too. Feeling good inspires positivity, resilience and strength. Your days will tend to feel much easier if you’re feeling these things!
- Look after your body: Your body is important and you need it to work for you as long as possible. Eat healthily, take regular exercise and listen to what your body is telling you. If it’s tired, rest. If it fancies that odd bit of chocolate cake, feed it!
- Find joy in the little things: Every now and then, big things happen to us, but for the most part, our days are the sum total of little things. Find joy and happiness in the little things and your day will feel a lot better. Try these 20 ways to be happier.
- Find a few minutes to yourself: Whenever you can, find some time for you each day. Not time for housework or running errands. Time for coffee, reading a book, flumping down on the sofa, listening to music. Whatever your brain and body need at that time.
- Chores and your home: Establishing some household routines is not a glamourous self-care tip but it definitely makes a difference to your time and energy levels so that’s why I’ve included it here! Get your home running on auto-pilot so you can be getting on with other things!
- Decluttering: Clear the clutter and create space, time and freedom. For plenty more on this subject, why not read my post on decluttering as self-care?
- Social media: Love it or loathe it, social media is here to stay. Be mindful of wasting your time or playing the unhealthy comparison game with those perfect social media feeds. Count up the hours you spend checking out other people’s lives and may be work on your own instead!
- Give yourself less to do: Too many things in your mind or in your schedule can overstretch and overwhelm. Create some wiggle room and space to ease the stress.
- Be inspired: Take yourself out of your comfort zone, learn something new or try a different way of doing things. Read a book, listen to a podcast, chat with a friend. Inspiration to broaden your mind comes from many sources.
- Be thankful: So often we don’t realise how much we value something until we no longer have it. Look in the mirror and appreciate your body and all it does for you, say thank you to the person who holds the door open for you, be grateful for the sun coming up and the moon to light the dark night.
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
These are just 20 ways to look after yourself. In a topsy turvy world, I think we all need a little TLC for ourselves every now and then.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know in the comments which is your favourite or whether you have any to add to this list! I’d love to hear from you.