30 SELF-CARE IDEAS FOR AUTUMN
Autumn is a season of change. Nature transitions from the light of summer to the dark of winter and for many of us, the kids are back at school and our diaries get busier. Try these 30 self-care ideas for Autumn to help you find time for yourself in a busy season of the year.
SELF-CARE IN AUTUMN
I love Autumn! I love the changing colours, falling leaves and watching how nature starts to prepare itself for Winter.
I also have to juggle kids going back to school, a busy season at work and a full schedule.
I try to limit the busyness as I feel better when I have wiggle room in my diary and I’m not on the go all the time, but Autumn is a busy time for all my family, especially after a slow Summer!
When life does get busy, it’s easy to push ourselves to the bottom of the priority list. We say we’re too busy, have too much to do and looking after ourselves can wait.
But, really, what are we waiting for?! Will there ever be a good time?
Over the years, I’ve learnt that busy times are when I especially need to make time for myself, even just a few minutes every day to relax, recharge and reset. I feel better and less stressed, have more energy and I’m definitely more ready for whatever the day throws at me!
If you feel you’re hitting a busy season or would just like some seasonal inspiration to make time for you, then I hope this post is helpful!
Here are 30 self-care ideas for Autumn that are simple, practical and effective…
30 SELF-CARE IDEAS FOR AUTUMN
- Journal – Get your thoughts out of your head and down onto paper so you can see them clearly and take action where necessary.
- A hot cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate – Make yourself a hot drink and make time to actually sit and drink it whilst it’s still warm!
- Focus on your mental health – Just as the days draw in, sometimes so do our hearts and minds. Make it a daily practice to do something to look after your mental health, not just your physical health.
- Enjoy the changing colours and falling leaves – Take a walk outside, splash in the puddles and swish through the leaves on the ground. Make a note of how the leaves are changing as you pass by them, perhaps every day! Nature is so beautiful.
- Unplug – Come away from social media and do something different with your time instead.
- Light a scented candle – Bring a little warmth and cosy light to your home now that the days are getting shorter.
- Learn to say no – Don’t feel you have to say yes to every request, invitation or opportunity. Listen to your body and what it needs.
- Decorate your home – Choose Autumn colours and be inspired by your walks outside!
- Read a book – When it’s wet and windy outside, nothing beats curling up under a blanket with a good book.
- Gratitude – Practice daily gratitude and appreciate all that you have in life, instead of constantly searching and wishing for what you don’t.
- Ten minutes to yourself – It may not be a long time but just having some quiet time to do what YOU want, instead of what others want you to do, can help you recharge your batteries.
- Bake – I love the smell of freshly baked cakes and cookies so hone your baking skills when it’s warmer in the home than outside it!
- Learn a skill – Again, you might not be able to spend so much time outside with the shorter days so think about ways you can use your time productively inside instead.
- Keep hydrated and drink plenty of water – Don’t let your skin dry out because the heating’s going full-blast.
- Knock something off your To Do list – Either plan to do it this week or remove it completely. It’s one less thing to do and think about!
- Declutter your home – Remember that decluttering is a wonderful form of self-care.
- Spend time with loved ones – For many of us, this season is a time for family and friends so make a point of connecting with those who mean the most to you.
- Enjoy and experiment cooking stews and soups – Create some warm and hearty meals that you can batch cook and make big quantities of to freeze for super-busy times.
- Have a pyjama day – Why get dressed if you don’t have to?
- Listen to a podcast – Learn something new and be inspired!
- Call a friend or loved one – A good chat with someone you love and trust does wonders for our mental health.
- Bath and bubbles – Nothing beats a long soak in a warm bath with some lovely bath products to add a little touch of luxury!
- Sit still in silence for 5 minutes – Find the value in doing nothing and listen to yourself, instead of the world around you.
- Sort your Autumn clothes – Declutter your wardrobe, move your warmer clothes to wear you can find them easily and move your Summer clothes to the back, side or pack them away until you’re likely to need them next.
- Meditate – Find a few minutes to yourself and quieten your mind. If you find it difficult, try a guided mediation (there are plenty to choose from on You Tube for example!)
- Arrange a fun and cosy night in for you and your partner/family/friends – Make it really special by making everyone feel at home.
- Create your own morning routine – When life gets busy, I find it helpful to get up a little earlier and do things that prepare me, physically and emotionally, for the day ahead.
- Declutter your schedule – Don’t fall into the trap of doing too much. Create free space in your diary whenever you can and enjoy that down time.
- Share a hug – Give someone a hug, either for warmth or to show them some love.
- Remember you are special – Because you are!
I hope you enjoy these 30 self-care ideas for Autumn. Try them out and see which ones work for you!
I know that for many of us, self-care seems difficult, especially if you have little kids or a schedule that’s jam-packed. We leave ourselves to the end and then wonder why we’re feeling so worn out, tired, resentful and stressed out.
I’d like to encourage you to think differently about how you look after yourself and think about ways that you can really make your home, heart and mind feel lighter generally.
Here are some resources which might help you do that:
- 60 positive affirmations for a happy and healthy mind
- Decluttering as self-care
- How to find calm when life gets too busy
SELF-CARE THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
If you enjoyed these ideas, here is a round-up of my seasonal self-care collection: